Newsbeuter is an open-source RSS/Atom feed reader for text terminals. It runs on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and other Unix-like operating systems. Newsbeuter's great configurability and vast number of features make it a perfect choice for people that need a slick and fast feed reader that can be completely controlled via keyboard.
A summary of some of its features:
- Subscribe to RSS 0.9x, 1.0, 2.0 and Atom feeds
- Download podcasts
- Freely configure your keyboard shortcuts
- Search through all downloaded articles
- Categorize and query your subscriptions with a flexible tag system
- Integrate any data source through a flexible filter and plugin system
- Automatically remove unwanted articles through a "killfile"
- Define "meta feeds" using a powerful query language
- Synchronize newsbeuter with your bloglines.com account
- Import and exporting your subscriptions with the widely used OPML format
- Freely define newsbeuter's look'n'feel through free color configurability and format strings
- Keep all your feeds in sync with Google Reader
“Then I start using [newsbeuter] and I have to say it is exactly what I wanted. [...] What blows me away is how quickly I can rip through feeds, search through them, and how I can save the text of articles.”
― Zed Shaw, "I Want The Mutt Of Feed Readers"
“I am not sure how often you get feedback, but I wanted to just say thank you for working on newsbeuter. It is a joy to use in my screen session along with irssi and alpine. I especially appreciate the UTF-8 compatibility (I read articles in English/Japanese on a regular basis). Please keep up the great work :)”
― John Wood
“I'm a new newsbeuter user, and I only want to congratulate you for this good program. I was previously using other feed programs like "Liferea", but they're slow and uses a huge amount of memory. It's also very configurable, that allow me to personalize it.”
― Ignacio Gallegos